18 June 2013

and so we beat on...boats against the current....borne back ceaselessly into the past...

Anyone who knows me well knows that this is one of the most profound statements written in any literature to date...to me anyway.

I think it speaks a lot to how hard we fight to change the present but in reality we are just products of our past...

OR ARE WE? (Dramatic music!)

I was watching my favorite person the other day (Iyanla Vanzant) and she blew me away with a simple statement. "You don't have to be wounded to be worthy of love".

Think about that... "You don't have to be wounded to be worthy of love"

Now think about it again..."You don't have to be wounded to be worthy of love"

How many of us use our "story" to garner sympathy? or a kind comment? I know I'm guilty of it...definitely. I know for a fact that I have told my story to people sometimes just to get them to lay off of me. Like "Listen I'm already damaged goods, stop kicking my cantaloupes". It has worked just enough times that I have thought that in order to be truly valued in the world my "story" needed to be out there. People NEEDED to know that I've been through enough shit just to be nice to me. In order to be loved, someone had to feel sorry for me.

It has been awhile since I've done that...probably at least 5 or 6 years, but not long enough that Iyanla making that statement wasn't profound for me.

It made me think of people I know (myself included) that will toss out tidbits of what we've gone through (products of our past) in order to get through the present.

But we don't have to...we can be who we are, what we are, worth it. Without it. It doesn't HAVE to be dramatic.

Sometimes...you can just be loved for who you are...all of who you are, good, bad, past, present. Without having to be wounded.

Which brings me to my next favorite quote from an author...

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are..." e. e. cummings.


No comments: