19 June 2013

Still think we don't need feminism?

I openly identify as a feminist, I probably have since I was in my teens and I would rant and rave about my mom listening to Rush Limbaugh when he would go on these insane rants about women in the military as though having a breasts and vagina somehow meant women were incapable of providing the same services men provide in the military. Forget the fact that the military runs their bases like a small town and require doctors, social workers, therapists, chaplains, police, teachers, and various other workers in addition to soldiers, pilots, mechanics, etc.

Anyway, as I've grown into my womanhood and have embraced the fact that I am female (much in part due to Michigan Womyn's Music Festival www.michfest.com) I have become more comfortable being "out" as a feminist.

As a feminist social worker, nothing gets my "panties bunched" faster than the disparity in pay between men and women, especially the well known fact that women are less likely to be in leadership and administration roles even in female dominated fields such as *drumroll* social work.

So, when I saw this clip today and saw the ever feminist Ms. Nene Leakes ask a VERY good question I thought...Finally a woman asks a woman (who wants to be given a platform to speak from) a question involving feminist ideals and asks a question that begs to be answered.

Alas, Miss Utah failed miserably to deliver what could have been an amazing answer from an amazing woman. Instead she stuttered her way through some nonsense statement about bringing it back to "creating education" and "creating jobs" and tried to grin her way through what was a colossal bellyflop.

Yet, people STILL think feminism is not important. Well hell, we wrenched the right to vote from cold dead white men's hands...and we finally get to serve in the military...what else is there to fight for? Will women NEVER be happy? (insert wink wink nudge nudge here)

No. We won't. Not until our gender ceases to be a factor in job offers and promotions. Not until you stop saying things like us working out of the home is depriving our children of good mothering. Not until you stop collecting binders full of women to attempt to look like you're female friendly. Or how about you stop penalizing us for being of child bearing age? (I was once denied a job because I might spontaneously reproduce)

Yes...feminism is still needed. Women the time has come to walk the road paved by the feminist warriors of the past and rise up and demand equal pay and opportunity for advancement. Otherwise...this is our future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v093dn5OKuE&noredirect=1


No comments: