11 September 2008

9/11

So today is 9/11 again. Its odd how 9/11 comes and I just know its that day again. I don't have a reminder or anything set, I just know.

 

Of course, I remember where I was and what I was doing when 9/11 happened, I'm no different from anyone else. However, the thing I remember the most is how 9/11 galvanized me. It made me sure of what I wanted, and not afraid to go get it. It made me realize that things don't just go on forever, people's lives get interrupted and there is no control over it.

 

We can't control what happens to us, we couldn't control what happened to all of those innocent lives and precious people that were lost.

 

We can only learn and grow and change ourselves for the better in the process of learning that life is precious and fleet and ultimately, there is no control.

 

It seems like yesterday, and years ago when I think about 9/11. Just the sheer terror and confusion that I felt being the mother of a 2 year old and having to look at her and fear for her future. It was mind-blowing and earth moving. It was horrible.

 

I hope as we move into the future and on with our lives that we will take a moment and grow and learn from this. Not learn that we should strike out in anger and hatred, but learn that we should embrace our neighbors, love our enemies, and be the change we want to see in the world.

 

No comments: